Tuesday, February 24, 2009

:: PROJECTS 3 & 4 & 5 ::

I'm back. I finally had a few moments to clear the pics from my camera and get them on here. I have not printed a single picture since I got my digital camera 2 years ago. One of my "50 Projects" this year is to get those photos printed! I just want to photoshop each one and make them better before I print them and it is just taking way too long. I just have a little point and shoot. I want a digital SLR so badly and was hoping to spend part of our tax return on one. However, our tax return wouldn't even buy us a little point and shoot (I'm totally bummed) so I guess the upgrade will be put off for another day. I digress.

While cleaning off the memory card, I found there was not a single photo of Project #3. Boo! It was cute, too. I made a bag for Mardi. She asked me in SEPTEMBER. I'm so busy (read: lazy). I cut all of the pieces out right before Halloween, but didn't sew it until Tanya and I got together for our January sewing group. I am so lame. (Have I mentioned our little sewing group? It is fun. It is Tanya, Rusti, Liz and I. We try to get together once a month and work on our lingering projects. It is a great motivator to get stuff done.) Tanya can vouch that I finished it. It was a simple messenger bag, made of the best blue/brown geometric fabric I could find. I finally gave it to Mardi last Sunday and was able to cross it off my list.


Project #4 was started in November. My friend Terra asked me to make her a scarf in a really simple color. I started a cable pattern on a cream yarn but I hated the yarn I chose. It just wasn't working. Browsing a book I found this really cute pattern called "Feather and Fan" that I wanted to try. I consulted my yarn gurus and decided on the Berroco Cuzco yarn called Blue Smoke. It turned out so lovely that I almost kept it for myself.


The photos don't do it justice. I was weaving in the ends just as Terra and I were planning our last outing together. I guess I work best under pressure. They moved to Alaska on Saturday. (Boo hoo!) More on the Binghams... as a side note... It is really hard to find good friends like them. You like them, they like you. Husbands have stuff to talk about. Your kids like each other, I liked her kids, she liked mine. You know the low-maintenance kind. Anyway, good luck in AK, Binghams. I am glad you have a nice new scarf to keep you warm in the great white north.

Back to the project. The pattern is easy and I'd like to share it with you.
Use whatever needle size your yarn choice suggests.
Cast on 24 stitches (or any multiple of 12)
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K2tog 2 times, YO 4 times, K2tog 4 times, YO 4 times, K2tog 2 times
Row 4: Knit
Repeat this pattern until you get the desired length. It is so easy and has a stunning outcome.

So Project #5 is titled "Make Room for Debbie". "Debbie" is our baby that won't be named Debbie, but that is what Cohen calls her. So far we've completed cleaned out Cohen's bedroom and closet and I've consolidated 3 craft areas into one. Last night Mike set up our GINORMOUS new bookshelf to consolidate our 3 mismatched bookcases into. We even went to look at a house this morning (which we won't make an offer on). We're moving in the right direction as to finding more space. I'm calling this project complete because if "Debbie" came tomorrow, she'd have a place to sleep in Cohen's room, or my own.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

I will definitely vouch that you got that bag done. It was so cute! I wanted to steal it and keep it for myself.

I'm really considering trying that scarf pattern. It's one I could handle since most of it is knitting. I just can't handle a lot of purling, it makes projects go so much longer and then I get bored and never finish them.

The Rasch's said...

Do you want a picture of the way cute bag. I can e-mail you one. I love it. Thank you so much for doing that for me. You are a wonderful friend!!

 
Site Meter