Wednesday, June 18, 2008

:: LET'S MAKE A DEAL ::

I was at DI last week looking for Mason jars (read: I am in charge of centerpieces for our neighborhood 4th of July breakfast... I have to make 30+... YIKES!). The selection was below par so I made a detour to the random stuff isle where I've found crafting goods before. I was drawn in by a small ball of sock yarn. When I lifted it up, I found all of these knitting needles! The best part about this find is that they are all different sizes and lengths. WAHOO!

Only one of the cheaper packages had a price tag of fifty cents on the back. I found a manager the following conversation took place:

Lori: Excuse me ... as I approach him with hands full dropping needles...
Manager: Can I help you?
Lori: Yes, I just was wondering if you could give me a price on these.
Manager: Hmmm.... what are they?
Lori: Knitting needles and crochet hooks.
Manager: looking at me like I'm a crazy person. Do people still knit? Hmmmm....
Lori: This one is marked fifty cents, but the rest just have their original price tags on them.
Manager: looking at the back of a package... Someone once paid $15 for these? Sheesh...
Lori: Yeah... hoping this wouldn't sway his decision
Manager: Hmm... well... I guess you can have them for fifty cents a piece. Sound okay?
Lori: Yes sir... picking my jaw up off the floor...
Manager: Glad I could make your day ma'am.
Lori: You have no idea.

So, I think I have officially had a thrift store score. I bought twenty four pair of needles and three crochet hooks for $11. Some of the packages were double stuffed. Wooooooohooooooo!

8 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

What a find indeed!

Kim said...

Holy cow!!! You got ADDI'S?!?! I am jealous. I never find anything good like that at our DI.

Suzanne said...

awww, I love thrift stores! I got some good stuff today at the DI.. but nothing like a hundred dollars worth of knitting needles for $11! Go you!

Tanya said...

Wow! What an incredible deal. I need to start thrift store shopping.

marta said...

wow. i'm so impressed with your DI finds! and i have to thank you for telling us about big j's. we went there last night and were not disappointed! it was a buzzing popular joint.. and the fries were delish. thanks again.

Rusti said...

That actually makes me want to check out the DI! lol- I have issues after spending hours and hours weekly at the DI growing up. I'm slowly getting over it. That's really pretty cool.

Lauren Ricci said...

I guess the saying is true, someone elses trash is someone elses treasure, especially when the thrift store doesn't know their true value! Way to go, that's awesome!

Stephanie said...

ummm....I wish I could get so excited about knitting needles. lol

 
Site Meter