Tuesday, June 05, 2012

100 lbs Less of Lori

I recently posted my weight loss success on my Facebook wall and I feel like a rock star! I never get any posts. I'm not witty or controversial or (too) braggy when I post a status update. But, I've been working my butt off and I'm proud to tell people. This does freak me out a little. Now I feel if I ever see my Facebook friends in real life, I have to be super good (maybe you shouldn't invite me to any BBQ this year). AND... most of my Facebook friends haven't seen me since I've gained 100 lbs, so they would probably be like "What's the fuss?"

PEEPS... this is HUGE deal. I talk about losing weight all of the time (if you know me in real life) but I never do much about it. I feel like if I bring up the fact that I am fat, no one else will have to state the obvious. It is strange insecurity. Last October I had a miscarriage and hit a pretty low point in my life.  I talked to my sister's brother-in-law about weight loss and food addictions and something clicked. I decided to make a change. I started meeting with a nutritionist at the hospital and got a physical. She suggested I lose approximately 100 lbs. Good heavens! What had I done to myself? I started reading books and I quickly lost 15 lbs and then gained a few back (dang Disneyland!). Then in February, a friend of mine talked me into going to a spin class. I thought my heart might explode within the first 15 minutes. It was a nightmare... but, I left 60 minutes later feeling better than I had felt in a long time.

Well, one day the instructor (by the way - this class is tough... She makes me cry every time I am in there. Sometimes from pain and exhaustion, but mostly from her motivational speeches. I credit a lot of this to her, even though I'm not sure she even knows my name) was talking about a cleanse that her doctor suggested to her. She begged us all to join her in her endeavor, as she talked about how terrible it all was, and I wasn't really that interested. After she admitted defeat, I figured I could give it a try. 8 weeks later, I have lost 29.5 lbs doing what she told me to do. I was so excited that I just kept going. Since all of this started a few months ago, I have lost 41 lbs and I feel fantastic. I have 60 more lbs to lose (which is daunting), but 60 is better than 100 right?

My official 8 week date ended yesterday (June 4, 2012), but I am going to start over starting on June 11. It isn't rocket science. It isn't a gimmick. It makes perfect sense and helps me think twice about what I am putting in my body.

I hope I can keep up with everyone who asked "what are you doing?". I don't care if someone has 5 lbs or 500 lbs to lose... trying to lose weight just plain stinks. It is hard and emotional and lame. By posting all of this on my blog, I feel like I am putting myself ALL OF THE WAY out there, which I don't normally do. I'm accountable to others. I'm no expert on the subject. I learn a little here and there and I'd like to share what is working for me. It might work for you, too, and it might not. But being in charge of yourself feels pretty good and that is what I am promoting.

(Fattest Day of my entire life... right after Thanksgiving dinner 2011)

So - this blog is my new platform for "100 lbs Less of Lori". HELP KEEP ME MOTIVATED! LET'S KEEP EACH OTHER MOTIVATED!

8 comments:

chchoo said...

Go Lori!!!! You are inspiring. For real.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Love it LORI!!! You are AMAZING!!! And you look AMAZING!! Totally inspiring!!

Jess and Kip said...

I am so proud of you Lori! Very inspiring post and I think it's awesome how hard you are working. Thanks for sharing and I would love to hear more about your journey.

T. Driaza said...

You have always been beautiful to me. It takes A LOT to commit & gain control. That's exactly what you have done, and I can't wait to see {photo, hello?} the new you. Thank you for sending the info my way. Now if only I can could commit as well. Go Lori! Love you!

AL&G said...

Jackie sure knows your name now. I think "Lori" might be her favorite name, and I think she would be so happy to hear how much you attribute your success to her crazy rants. It is all you, Lori. You are really good at finding inspiration when you need it. :)

Ann-Michelle said...

The diet follow the south beach diet somewhat. I liked the book because it gives a scientific reason to eat this way. It made me feel like I was eating like a doctor and not like a fad dieter. You might like it to help motivate you for round 2 :) So inspired! good luck!

Jen said...

I am so sorry about your miscarriage. I have had one and it's so disappointing. I am sure that heavenly Father has a plan for you and your family. Giving you a kickstart motivation to become a healthier you is surely a part of it.
Way to go, Lori! I know from personal experience that it takes an enormous amount of discipline to lose weight. After every child I have 50-60 to lose. It takes so much self-control, but feels so good it's well worth all the effort.
Congratulations on losing so much already! That is truly impressive! You are inspiring!

Lindsey said...

Yay I found your blog! That really is amazing and so inspiring, thanks for posting the details :) it's always scary to put yourself out there, but that is amazing!!!

 
Site Meter