Saturday, June 16, 2012

:: BREADED CHICKEN ::

Happy Father's Day! My dad stopped by for a quick hello and a hug. He is on his way to my sister's house in Las Vegas (105 degrees - no thanks!) for the weekend. I mowed 1/2 of the lawn, weeded, and then replanted some herbs. Side note* - I am terrible at spacing my plants. They are either too far apart or too close together. I've transplanted a lot of stuff this year. Maybe that is why my beds look wilty. Maybe next year I'll figure it out. Then I took a nap. My energy was zapped in that hot sun. Mike is a good dad. They kids are ''so glad when daddy comes home." I am, too. He is way better at playing with them than I am. He likes to take them with him when he goes somewhere. He involves him in his hobbies. I am lucky to have him.

So for today's recipe. I've been craving anything but salad all day. It is almost easier to not eat than to try and eat more lettuce. I found this recipe a while ago and I didn't document where. But I haven't tried it yet, but I think we will tonight. It is still fried chicken, but it is on this diet and may satisfy your cravings for something different. Your kids will probably like it, too.

Almond Crusted Chicken

2 large eggs
1 – 6 oz. bag sliced almonds (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup almond meal flour
1 1/2 lbs. chicken tenderloins
oil, for frying

Heat your oven to 200* and place an empty cookie sheet inside the oven.

Lightly beat the eggs in a wide bowl.  Place the almond slices and flour in a food processor and pulse until the almonds are chopped, but not fully ground.  Transfer the almond mixture to a shallow plate, for dredging.  Season the chicken tenders on both sides with salt and pepper.

Dip one pieces of chicken at a time in the egg.  Shake off the excess and then dredge the pieces in the almond mixture.  Press the flour mixture onto the chicken to help it adhere.  Set the breaded tenders on a wire rack.

In a large skillet, heat 2-3 Tbsp. of oil over medium heat.  When it’s shimmering hot, it’s ready to work with.  Working in batches, cook the chicken until light golden brown on both sides, turning often, and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per batch.  Add a little more oil to the pan with each batch as necessary, and remove any large almonds that have fallen off of the chicken, from the oil.  Drain the tenders on paper towels after cooking, and then place them on the warmed cookie sheet in the oven.

No comments:

 
Site Meter